By Mashaal Rana
It’s completely normal to have procrastinated on the weight loss goal if you’re getting married this bridal season but there is no doubt that we all want to look (and feel) our absolute best on our big day – and to make sure that you achieve your best-bod goals, we’ve done the legwork for you. This month, Women’s Own teamed up with Health Act and Body Beat’s Fitness Coach and Nutritionist, Risha Zia, to create and bring to you an exclusive 4-week plan. So, get ready to shed those extra pounds and get ready to boot camp your way to a lean figure.
The plan consists of alternative training – 1-day cardio and 1-day strength training for 4 days. The 5TH day however, is a combination of cardio and total abs.
Saturday and Sundays are to be taken off in order to relax muscles and allow your body some time to recover.
Equipment that you will require is: Yoga mat, 2 Dumbbells (weighing at least 3 Kg each) and a skipping rope.
- ALL SETS ARE FOR 60 SECONDS REPS.
- GET 10 SECONDS OF REST BETWEEN EACH SET.
- ALL OF THE ABOVE SETS MAKE 1 ROUND. YOU MUST COMPLETE 5 ROUNDS.
- AFTER FINISHING YOUR ROUNDS, COOL DOWN 3 T0 5 MINUTES WITH STRETCHES.
Fat burning cardio
Warm up: 6 minutes
- Start with warming yourself up, for 60 seconds by spot jogging (beginners should start with marching up).
- Stretch your arms by raising them above your shoulders and then bringing them down towards your feet. Touch your toes without bending your knees. Repeat it for 60 seconds.
- Repeat above warm up 3 times.
SET # 1:
- Scissors Jog: Stand on your feet together then raise your arms above your head. Now move your feet forward and immediately back – switching your sides every time.
- Jumping Jacks
- Straight Front Kicks: Kick your leg in front with your hands trying to touch your toe every time you kick, then repeat it on other side.
- Side Kicks: Kick your legs to your sides with hands trying to touch your mid-calf every time you kick, then repeat it on the other side.
- Sit –ups
Upper body strength
Warm up: Same as Day 1
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press: Stand with your feet hips width apart and hold a dumbbell in each hand. Raise the dumbbell exactly to the height of your head while keeping your elbows out at shoulder level. Now raise your hands above your head and then bring them down to the starting position.
- Seated Dumbbell Curl: Sit on a bench/chair with your back straight. Hold the dumbbells with your palms facing yourself and elbows close to your torso. Now move your forearms towards your shoulders, keeping in mind that only your forearm should move. Take the dumbbells to the starting position and repeat.
- Toe touch: Stand on your feet hips width apart and hold dumbbell in your hands. Now bend down towards your toes and touch them with dumbbells without bending your knees then get back to your starting position. Repeat.
- Dumbbell Chest Fly:
- Pull over Head: Lie on your back with legs extended straight and closed, grasp the dumbbell with both hands holding straight over your chest at arm length. Now lower the hands slowly behind your head, when slightly above from the floor, pull it over toward starting point. Repeat.
- Lying Chest Press: Lie on your back, raise both your legs up, dumbbell in each hand , push them up directly over your shoulders. Now bring your elbows down to the floor while the forearm stays in the same position, push your arms up again and keep repeating.
- Dumbbell Russian Twist: Hold a dumbbell straight out in front and sit on the floor with hips and knees bent at 90 degrees, back in a neutral position as slightly lowering towards floor. Now twist your upper body on both sides and keep repeating.
SAME AS DAY 1
SAME AS DAY 2
Warm up: Same as Day 1
- Burpee (Same as Day 1)
- Knee up crunches: Lying on your back, bring your knees up to form a 90-degree angle and hands by your temple. Now raise your shoulders and upper back using your upper abs. Then lower your torso back to starting position. Repeat.
- Leg Raises: Lying on your back, legs extended straight out and close to each other, hands under your glutes with your palms down. Now raise your legs up and press your abs in and bring it down slightly above from the floor and pull it over again. Repeat.
- Plank: Lying upside down in a press up position, bend your elbows and rest your weight on your forearms and toes, keeping your body in a straight line. Engage your core by keeping your tummy in all the time. Keep holding this position for 60 seconds.
- Star Fish or Cross Crunch: Lying on your back, keep your arms and legs diagonally out and straight, forming an” X”. Now bring your right hand towards your left foot then left hand towards your right foot, lifting your head, neck and shoulders off the ground. Repeat.
- Jumping Jacks.
Please note: A healthy diet must be consumed alongside the workout to achieve best results. To get a personalised plan especially catered to your body’s individual needs, you can contact Risha Zia through here or via Health Act Karachi.
So, invest in that yoga mat, pick up those weights and get ready to marathon through this one-month-challenge to prepare yourself for carrying that 10 Kg jora on your baraat – and that too, without any struggle.