By Alina Maniar
Let’s start off with the basics. Which colors are known as wild hair colors? The hair colors apart from shades of brown, black, blonde and red are definitely wild colours, examples would be blue, pink, purple, green, yellow, and so on. When it comes to wild colors, you should make sure to get a color or colors that will compliment your skin tone, if you cannot figure it out yourself, opt for expert advice. Visit a salon and ask them which colors would look best.
This is a big decision so make sure you are committed to making the change. The maintenance of wild colours can be quite an ordeal. Secondly, you’ll have to go through some expected haw-hayes from the society as such colors are not common in Pakistan yet. So be prepared! Not only this, getting your hair dyed with wild colors is expensive, furthermore the after care is also costly. If you are not someone who can follow up with a proper hair care routine don’t get your hair dyed otherwise they’ll get very damaged.
I love wild hair colors and I keep on trying new colors, just recently, I got my hair dyed on galaxy theme from Sadreen’s Salon located at Badar Commercial, Karachi. I fell in love with my hair color; they look like a vivid rainbow. Sadreen’s did a fantastic job and she used all good brands which are known for making the best wild colors such as Manic Panic, Pravana, etc. She used about 7-9 colors to achieve this look, I’d say, she is a magician!
Here are some dos and don’ts if you’re planning to dye your hair with wild colors.
- Wash your hair with a good color protect professional shampoo and conditioner, it is a onetime investment that will save your hair color from fading away quickly. I personally use Tresemme. You can get either get Tresemme or Schwarzkopf.
- Wash your hair once within 5 days, if your hair is getting oily, use a dry shampoo.
- While drying your hair, gently use a towel in vertical manner. Do not rub the towel aggressively.
- When the dye is freshly done, wear some dark colored clothes because the color will bleed till the second or third wash.
- Try wearing clothes with no prints or light prints, maybe a print that is away from the upper part of your body. This will enhance your hair color.
- Use serum that suits your hair type or get a spray conditioner to make sure your hair looks flawless as the bleaching process might dry them out. It totally depends on the quality of your hair, they won’t necessarily dry out.
- Don’t wash your entire hair with shampoo, use shampoo on your scalp only. For the colored part of your hair, use conditioner only, do not shampoo colored hair. If you do so, the color will bleed and fade away within no time.
- Don’t heat style your hair often, do it rarely. It will damage the quality of your hair.
- Don’t wear printed clothes that have a lot of things going on, your hair color will not look good enough.
- Don’t wash your hair with hot water, if you do so, the color will fade away quickly. It is recommended to use cold water.
If you want the colors to show up vividly, don’t use local brands. Although, the best ones are obviously expensive, but you will be satisfied with the result. The local ones are dark not bright; also the color fades away within 3 weeks or less. Not only this, they have a lot of chemicals. Instead, use Manic Panic or Pravana. Manic Panic is vegan and cruelty free, their colors are semi permanent and they last for 6 months or more depending on how well you take care of them. I have used both, local and these international brands and according to my experience, the imported ones did not dry out my hair and the color lasted for a longer time period.